I’ve never been much of a beauty queen or that into makeup and such. Not until the past few years has it intrigued me so. I’ve realized though, now that I’m getting older, that grooming yourself makes you not only feel cleaner and more put-together, but can also give you a huge confidence boost. I find that simply throwing on a little mascara and blush can do wonders for my mood as well as makes me look a little more polished and fresh for the day, even a Monday (ew!).
So here are 20 products (and tips), randomly thrown together last-minute, that I like to keep handy to make me feel my prettiest.
1. Invest in a good foundation and BB cream that matches your skin tone (match to your neck). My personal favorites are L’Oreal True Match and Youth Code BB Cream, as well as my new one for summer Maybelline Fit Me Matte+Poreless Foundation.
2. You can never have too many mascaras, like seriously! Everyday I choose a different one depending on the look I want. I have found that Maybelline, Covergirl, and ELF have some of the best ones.
3. Don’t be afraid to experiment with blushes and bronzers to add color to your cheekbones. Go for coral/peachy shades in the summer to warm up your look.
4. Always change-up your nail color (on hands and feet). I’m bad about letting color sit on my toes for too long but it’s always nice when I add a new color and will again make you feel much more put-together.
5. There is nothing more annoying than needing to throw your hair up but not being able to because you don’t have a hair tie. I always keep one on my wrist. It’s almost become an everyday “jewelry” item I wear.
6. Pamper and protect your skin with the following items weekly: body lotion, face wash, moisturizer, and sunscreen. Your body is yours, take care of it!
7. And speaking of face wash: NEVER EVER, EVER, EVER GO TO BED WITH MAKEUP STILL ON. Your skin needs to breath from the harshness of the elements of your day and during sleep is the perfect time for your body to repair skin, so give it what it needs to do that. I personally use a light face wash for my acne-prone skin, witch-hazel toner, and moisturizer.
8. If you have acne like me, do not be ashamed of it! Everyone has insecurities and trust me I know how badly you want to just hide in a paper bag and never show your face again but trying to hide your acne only brings your attention more to it. Dermatologists are literally the best and will help you find a skin-care routine that works for your skin. They also can prescribe stronger medicines to help as well to balance out your skin. You are beautiful with all that acne! It’s all you! Don’t be ashamed of it!
9. As with skin, your hair needs a little pampering every now and then too. Make sure your not stripping your hair of its natural oils. Don’t over-wash it! There’s nothing wrong with going a day without washing it, even if your oily. Natural oils are actually good! Research it 🙂
10. Keep bobby pins, hair clips, and a flat-iron/curling iron (make sure you have your heat defense spray) for those days when you want to do a cute updo, add some curls, or anything else that tickles your fancy. Just be you!
11. Always keep some lipstick and lip balm in your purse for when your lips get dry.
12. Shaving your legs, no matter how annoying, always makes me feel more feminine and clean. If not for anyone else, do it for yourself.
13. If you’re trying to save money and don’t want to spend a fortune on makeup products then check out my go to brands for affordable but quality makeup. A few of my favorites are: E.L.F, L’Oreal, NYC, NIX, Maybelline, Jordana, and Wet N Wild.
14. I like to keep 4 essential makeup brushes in my arsenal at all times: a fluffy blush brush, eyeshadow brush, small contour brush, and an all over buffing brush. Do you really need 36 different brushes? Will you actually use that many when you’re tired and late for work? NO. Unless you’re a professional makeup artist, keep it simple and stick to a few favorites.
15. Just like with mascaras, you can never have too many perfumes. Don’t be afraid to stock up and make it a regular to spritz a little on before you leave.
16. Pick one day out of the week that you know you have a little more energy and make that your “Glam Day”. A day where you go the extra mile in your appearance, maybe with a little extra makeup or a cute outfit that you might never wear. Mix it up and see what you can come up with. This is good too when you feel bored with your current style.
17. While you’re getting ready, instead of focusing on your flaws pick a few things that you like about yourself and focus on them. I promise this will brighten your day.
18. Adding a simple pair or earrings or necklace can pull together a look so well and adds an extra touch of femininity. I don’t wear a whole lot of jewelry but I keep a few simple pieces in my jewelry bag at all times that I always go to.
19. Don’t pop pimples and don’t get into the habit of it. I’ve noticed that the majority of the acne scars on my face have accrued because of picking and popping at my skin during my pubescent years. If you have a pimple, spot treat it with some benzoyl peroxide overnight and apply witch-hazel or ice to help with swelling and redness.
20. Even when you don’t feel pretty, and I as well as every other female on the planet has had those days, smile anyway and think about all that you do have, being grateful for the life and purpose you’ve been given.
Going off that note, it’s easy to get pulled into the world of plastered, Barbie doll look-alikes that are hurled in our face as women every day and I know that it’s exhausting. But trust me, you will never look like that, not even those models on those magazine covers look like that!!! So instead of dragging yourself down with the endless comparisons how about instead embracing who you are as a woman? An amazing, beautiful, funny, smart, strong, unique, and extraordinary woman!
Don’t give up on yourself and who you were made to be! Enjoy being you and love the body you were given, take care of it, pamper it, and feel beautiful in it!
I hope these tips will help you look and feel more beautiful than I know you already are.
P.S. Please send me any comments or questions you may have! I would love to hear from you!